The eyelids are muscular structures that control the opening, closing, and protection of your eyes. Any disease or abnormality of the eyelid may lead to visual and cosmetic issues.
Eyelid surgery is a broad term and may be performed to correct and restore normal anatomy. The Eye Surgeons Associates team is highly specialized in diagnosing and managing diseases of the eyelids and surrounding structures.
The Background Behind Eyelid Surgery
The skin over the eyelid is very delicate and may begin to bulge or droop around the eyes with aging. This excess eyelid skin can block the upper visual field and affect your ability to see clearly.
Eyelid problems may be inflammatory, infectious, traumatic, or mechanical. The following are some of the conditions that alter the eyelid:
- Inflammation of eyelid glands
- Blepharospasm (uncontrolled muscle contractions)
- Trichiasis (inward growth of eyelashes)
- Skin growths/tags
- Facial palsy
- Molluscum contagiosum
- Myasthenia gravis
- Trauma to the eye
- Skin cancers
- Brain tumor
If you are suspecting eyelid problems; you may experience:
- Tearing in the affected eye
- Foreign body sensation
Proper diagnosis and treatment of these conditions rely on expertise and timely management. Treating the underlying cause of the lid problem is critical. Not all conditions require surgery, some may respond to medications and conservative measures such as warm compresses. Eyelid surgery when appropriate can restore the normal appearance and function of the eyelids.
Types Of Eyelid Surgery
- Ptosis (droopy eyelid) correction
- It is performed to improve drooping, puffiness, and wrinkles around the upper eyelid.
- Usually a short procedure and patients should expect to recover in a week or two.
- Repair of entropion
- Entropion is the inward turning of the eyelid and causes the eyelashes to rub against the eyeball.
- This results in redness and tearing.
- The eye doctors at Eye Surgeons Associates can repair entropion to prevent long-term complications.
- Repair of ectropion
- Ectropion is the outward turning of the lower eyelid due to aging or other causes.
- This results in dryness, photosensitivity, and tearing.
- Specialists at Eye Surgeons Associates can repair ectropion to prevent long-term complications.
- With aging, muscles lose their elasticity and lead to bagging around the lower eyelid. Blepharoplasty rectifies this issue; excess skin or tissue is removed via a single incision.
What You Should Know Before Eyelid Surgery?
Before scheduling eyelid surgery expect to have a complete dilated eye examination as well as pertinent testing. If you have any underlying chronic diseases or are taking any medications make sure to tell your surgeon beforehand.
Outcomes Of Eyelid Surgery
Many different types of eyelid surgeries are performed by the surgeons at Eye Surgeons Associated. Most of the procedures are of short duration and performed under local anesthesia. Following postoperative instructions and using medications as prescribed are critical for proper healing after surgery.
If you would like to schedule an eyelid evaluation, call Eye Surgeons Associates or schedule a visit online at www.esacares.com